A Whole-School Transformation Process
The Leader in Me is Franklin Covey’s whole school transformation process. It teaches 21st century leadership and life skills to students and creates a culture of student empowerment based on the idea that every child can be a leader.
The Leader in Me produces incredible results such as higher academic achievement, fewer discipline problems, and increased engagement among teachers and parents. Better yet, The Leader in Me equips students with the self-confidence and skills they need to achieve in the 21st century economy.
7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Leader in Me is based on The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.
Children take to these habits like fish to water and in no time at all these habits become part of their everyday vocabulary and daily routines.
From Kindergarten through 6th the kids at Barnett Elementary will learn about and understand these habits and apply them in many surprising ways this upcoming school year.
The 4 Disciplines of Execution- Setting Goals
Our student leaders use the 4 Disciplines of Execution model to set Wildly Important Goals (WIGs) in personal interests and academics. The 4 Disciplines are:
1. Focus on the Wildly Important. Choose one thing that is very important to you and state it in a positive sentence that includes why it is important. Then write the goal in a "From X to Y by when" format. Post your WIG in a visible location so it is always on your mind.
Ex: I will move from reading level J to reading level M by May 15.
2. Act on the Lead Measures. Choose 1-2 strategies and/or actions that will have the highest leverage to work towards acheiving the goal. Turn the strategies into lead measures.
Ex: Read 20 minutes every day. Read different genres of books.
3. Keep a Compelling Scoreboard. Peple behave differently when they are keeping score. Create a simple scoreboard where you mark off when you complete your lead measures and you can quickly tell if you are "winning." The scoreboard location should allow you to easily update and track progress.
4. Create a Cadence of Accountability. Select an accountablility partner you meet with at a designated and consistent time where you report on previous commitments, review and update your scoreboard, and make new commitments. You can adjust your lead measures if necessary to keep moving forward on the goal and always celebrate milestones, not just the finish line!
Our students meet with their accountability partners every week to talk about their WIGs and celebrate the great acheivements they are making.
“The Leader in Me program is a game changer. It will make our school even better!” -Amy Anson, Parent
The 7 Habits are:
- Habit 1: Be Proactive
- Habit 2: Begin With the End in Mind
- Habit 3: Put First Things First
- Habit 4: Think Win-Win
- Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood
- Habit 6: Synergize
- Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw
At Barnett we will not merely be focused on improving test scores, but will provide opportunities for students to develop their full potential.
- Problem Solving
- Initiative and Self-Direction
- Cross-Cultural Skills
The staff at Barnett Elementary School believes that all students can learn and achieve mastery of basic skills, regardless of their previous academic performance, family background, socio-economic status, race, or gender. We believe all students are leaders at school, home and in life!